The Maryport and Carlisle Railway 

THE FACTS



 

Legal History 

Company incorporated: 1837
Absorbed into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company with
effect from 1st January 1923


Openings:

Maryport-Carlisle: opened in several stages of which the main dates were:
Maryport-Arkleby: 15 July 1840
Arkleby-Aspatria: 12 April 1841
Carlisle-Wigton: 10 May 1843
Completion of main line Maryport- Carlisle: 10 Febuary 1845
Aspatria-Mealsgate-Aikbank: 26 December 1866
Bullgull-Brigham(-Cockermouth): 1 June 1867

 

Stations open in 1910:

Aspatria    ReOpen 2000 Unmaned Halt

Baggrow   closed 22 September 1930

Brayton    closed 22 September 1930

Bullgill    closed 7 March 1960

Carlisle Citadel The M&CR was a tenant of the Carlisle Citadel Station Joint Committee

Cockermouth The M&CR was a partner in the Cockermouth Joint Station Committee

Cummersdale   closed 18 June 1951

Curthwaite      closed 12 June 1959

Dalston  ReOpen 2000 Unmaned halt

Dalston  closed 29 April 1935

Dearham Bridge  closed 5 June 1950

Dovenby  Private station, closure date not known

High Blaithwaite    closed 1 August 1921

Leegate closed 5 June 1950

Maryport  Open 2000

Mealsgate  closed 22 September 1930

Papcastle closed 1 July 1921

Wigton  Open 2000

In 1922 the Maryport and Carlisle Railway Company had . . .

. . . a total capital of 888,700. The company earned a total traffic revenue of 175,642 with an expenditure of 126,630. From its profits it paid out 50,557 in a dividend to shareholders of 6.5%. The main sources of revenues were as follows:

Passengers  52,330

Mail and Parcels  11,879

Goods, Live Stock, Minerals  111,014

The company had a total route mileage of 42 miles 63 chains, of which 28 miles 53 chains were double track. Total track mileage (including sidings) was 100 miles 17 chains.

The M&C owned the following rolling stock and equipment:

HOME   NEXT